Opinium provides new research on UK gambler
Retention, cross-selling and building brand loyalty are the key challenges facing operators in the UK, according to new research from strategic insight agency Opinium. In a new paper titled “Gaming’s not so quiet revolution: the changing face of the UK punter”, Opinium surveyed 1,500 people who gambled at least once a month online.
The report found that:
- A good introductory bonus or offer was the most important factor for 42 percent of sportsbook customers when signing up to a new brand; 25 percent said best odds was the most important factor;
- 33 percent of those gambling online once a month exclusively play sportsbook; 11 percent play bingo exclusively; 8 percent play casino exclusively;
- The gender-split between casino-only players is closer than many think, with 57 percent of users being male and 43 percent female;
- UK gamblers are more likely to come from the 35-54 age bracket (43 percent of the Opinium sample versus 34 percent of total UK population) than the 18-34 bracket (30 percent Opinium sample, 29 percent UK population); and
- Casino players are the most proliferate when it comes to brand loyalty, with 49 percent switching from their most commonly used brand, versus just 27 percent of bingo players.
“An understanding of the customer is absolutely critical to success in a market as competitive as the UK, and we are proud to publish this insightful report giving the industry a glimpse of exactly what the modern gambler looks like," said Steve Looney, research director at Opinium. “This has been an extensive study utilising a robust methodology, and we hope the results inform both operators and suppliers to make better, more customer-centric decisions.”
The report, which includes a foreword from betting and gaming PR and marketing specialists Square in the Air, is the first in a series from Opinium. Opinium plans to publish additional reports taking an in-depth look at the sportsbook, casino and bingo verticals in the coming months.
For a copy of the report, visit: http://opinium.co.uk/gamings-not-quiet-revolution/.