Officials have put a new request for proposals forward for Baltimore’s long-delayed Russell Street Casino, once expected to open earlier this year. The project, which would be built on 17 acres near Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium and could operate as many as 3,750 slot machines, has been mired in lawsuits since the original developer, Baltimore City Entertainment Group, had its slot license rescinded.
TheBaltimore Sunreports that the city’s Board of Estimates is set to approve today the terms to
which potential developers must agree before applying for a state slots
license. The terms, which include more attractive leasing arrangements than in
the original RFP, will be outlined in the slots application, bypassing the need
for additional negotiations between slots developers and the city.
“We think this provides a streamlined process for
applicants,” said Donald Fry, president of the state slots commission, told theSun. “But this doesn't preclude the
applicant from negotiating a sweeter deal with the city.”
Fry added that applications would be due at the end of
July, with the license likely to be awarded later in the year and construction beginning
in early 2012.
Officials try to jump start downtown Baltimore casino
April 27, 2011