Shooting Star Casino, Hotel and Entertainment, proudly owned and operated by White Earth Nation, has revealed plans to build a third casino located on Star Lake near Dent, Minnesota. Designed by Minneapolis-based Cuningham Group, construction will begin in 2016 and the projected opening is slated for 2017.
“We are pleased to announce the plans of a third Shooting Star Casino to be built near Dent, Minnesota, on Star Lake,” said Bill Marsh, general manager of Shooting Star Casino. “Many of our guests travel from southern regions because there are no closer gaming and entertainment alternatives. We believe the most efficient way to serve these guests is to push our existing presence further south by building a new, state-of-the-art facility to spur additional economic and financial opportunities within the White Earth Nation region.”
Star Lake is just east of Dent, Minnesota, and offers various activities, such as skiing and fishing. Year-round residents and vacationers currently share the lake, and the addition of Shooting Star’s new casino off of County Road 41 in 2017 is expected to invite more visitors to the region and consequently spur economic growth.
“Our hope is that the new casino will help draw more visitors to the area and make the Star Lake and Dent region a true destination as well as improve business growth,” added Marsh. “We are eager to serve new guests and visitors through this expansion.”
The new Shooting Star Casino project on Star Lake will offer slots, tables, a bar & grill, ballroom, and a buffet. The casino property will also house a gift shop, deli, hotel, and an RV Park. This endeavor will present new financial benefits for the community of Dent, Minnesota, nearby residents and for the White Earth Nation. These include:
- New employment opportunities for tribal members and the surrounding community;
- The prospect of growing the White Earth Nation’s tribal land presence in a region it has historically inhabited;
- Presenting the Star Lake and Dent region as a new, nearby and convenient gaming venue to residents of and near the greater Otter Tail County;
- The diversification of the White Earth Nation’s commercial operations, which strengthens its economic base;
- The means to fund educational, health, welfare, environmental and other services to improve the quality of life of White Earth Nation tribal members;
- The means to improve the White Earth tribal government and the governmental services it offers to members; and,
- The key resources needed to improve the White Earth Nation’s financial health and the scope of its decision-making and management responsibilities.