Hollywood Casino St. Louis, a Penn National Gaming property, is launching a property-wide sustainability effort designed to eliminate over 25,000 lbs of waste annually and help reduce carbon emissions. During the next several months, Hollywood Casino Saint Louis plans to execute and test "green" initiatives in its hotel rooms, restaurants, restrooms, parking garage and other areas of the property, including:
- Testing the elimination of plastic straws in the Hops House restaurant by switching to paper straws (available only on request), with the potential of eliminating up to 792,000 plastic straws per year;
- Installing Dyson Airblade hand dryers in all public restrooms, eliminating over 22,000 lbs of paper waste annually;
- Switching to coreless toilet paper rolls to decrease cardboard waste by over 800 lbs annually;
- Installing and testing permanent shower amenity dispensers on two hotel floors to greatly reduce disposable plastic bottles, eliminating 1,728 lbs of product and 335 bs of plastic annually;
- Installing four SemaConnect EV charging stations in the parking garage to support patrons who drive electric vehicles, allowing them to charge vehicles for free; and
- Outfitting valet attendants with Adidas Ultraboost Parley Shoes, created with yarn made in collaboration with Parley for the Oceans and featuring Parley Ocean Plastic made from recycled waste intercepted from beaches and coastal communities before it reaches the ocean.
"As general manager and vice president of Hollywood Casino Saint Louis, I care about our commitment to innovation and action that has a meaningful impact on the environment and the community that we live in," said Michael Jerlecki. "After completing a systematic review of our organization's processes and culture, we are implementing changes and have begun to develop a framework for our property that helps us incorporate more sustainable efforts into our daily routines, while ensuring we deliver on our commitments to all stakeholders."
Through collaboration with team members, guests, suppliers and business partners, Hollywood Casino St. Louis plans to constantly measure the progress and impact of these programs and report on progress through baseline assessment metrics used in various certifications.